This month we will take a tour of France. To get in the mood for our vacation, check out these fun facts about France.
Facts About France
- France is the second largest economy in the Eurozone.
- France was the most popular destination in 2012 (83 million tourists)
- The Louvre Museum was the most visited museum in the world (9.5 million visitors 2012).
- More electric cars were sold here during 2013 than any other EU country.
- Napoleon was above average height for his time.
- It’s illegal to name a pig Napoleon.
- Paris was originally a Roman city called “Lutetia”.
- There are towns in France named “Pussy” and “Condom”.
- 96% of high schools have condom vending machines.
- There is a cafe in France that charges rude customers extra.
Now that we have digested a few fun factoids, let’s decide how, when, and where we will travel in France. This month’s poll is a little different in that we are voting on four books, all of which couldn’t be more different. Two titles are set entirely in France during the sixteenth and nineteenth centuries. The other two titles are contemporary fiction that pass through Paris. Wings of Redemption passes through Paris as part of its action packed whirlwind adventure. Crimson Clouds is a baby boomer novel that explores entering a new stage in life and the changes that come with it.
How to Vote
- Read the summary excerpts below
- Click the books for more information
- Leave a comment on this page to vote.
Gastien Part 1: The Cost of the Dream
When young Gastien Beauchamp flees the farm for Paris, the late nineteenth century bohemian era is in full swing. Color has always called to him, beseeching him to capture it on canvas and show people a new way of seeing things. His father belittled his dream of being an artist and tried to beat him into giving it up. The dream wouldn’t die, but Gastien would have had he not left.
Leonardo The Last Years
Starting in 1516 and spanning three years of Leonardo da Vinci’s life, it invokes the sights, customs, and people who lived during the period. As appointed ‘court painter and architect” to young King Francois I, Leonardo enters the volatile court life of 16th century France. Here, in a society of social prejudice and inequality, his past threatens to catch up with him.
Wings to Redemption
Wings to Redemption is an artfully woven web of high-tech thriller, corporate and government espionage, frighteningly realistic scientific research and unexpected love all set against the beautifully described backdrop of some of the most breathtaking historical spots in the world. You will travel the twists and turns from Sydney to Paris to Morocco to San Francisco, to an isolated jungle outpost in Brazil, to Washington DC. What is at risk? It’s huge!
Robert’s life is about to change. Freshly retired, he renews with a childhood dream of becoming an artist. But his old-fashioned paintings appall his much younger wife. She’s cool and artsy, he’s hopelessly square, they fight over art but what is at stake is their marriage. And that is only the beginning of Robert’s troubles.